Welcome to Child, Family and Community Services!
Child, Family and Community Services, Inc. (CFCS) is a comprehensive child development agency that enhances self-sufficiency of families and provides children a foundation to be successful.
Enrollment and Eligibility Facts
- A family must meet federal income guidelines which are established by reference to the official poverty line and adjusted annually in accordance with changes in the Consumer Price Index. These income guidelines can be waived for families with special circumstances who might benefit from placement in Head Start.
- A child must be at least three years of age. A child who will be four on or before December 2nd will receive priority.
- A child must not be eligible for kindergarten at the time of enrollment.
- A child with a disability will receive priority points.
- Regardless of any changes in family income, once a child is determined eligible and enrolled in the program, he or she will remain eligible for the program throughout the current year and for a second year, as long as he or she still meets the age requirements.
- Child’s official birth, hospital or baptismal certificate
- Immunization records and current TB test (Mantoux and/or chest x-ray)
- Proof of family income – any of the following is acceptable: one month of current check stubs, letter from employer, or 1040 tax form for current year
- Copy of TANF award letter or copy of check
- An IEP or doctor’s certification if your child has a special medical need
- Four people we can contact in an emergency – names, addresses, and phone numbers
- Proof of address – utility bill
CFCS’ Head Start program offers pre-school for children who are 3 and 4 years old. It also includes services for mental health, nutrition, disabilities, health, parent involvement, and education.
Parents are eligible for the program if they:
- Meet family income guidelines
- Have children up through age 12, (13-21 years old if child is special needs)
- Use child care in our service area (Hayward, CA)
- Need child care because they are employed, seeking employment, in a vocational training, seeking permanent housing, and/or incapacitated.
News & Announcements
U.S. Congressman Swalwell visits Head Start!
U.S. Congressman Eric Swalwell took time out of his busy schedule to visit the children and staff of CFCS’ Head Start/Early Head Start at Peixoto school in Hayward. This site serves 169 Hayward children with six pre-school and four infant/toddler classrooms.
Policy Council Parent Perspective: Mark Upshaw
My reason for being involved with the Head Start program is not only because of my child’s enrollment and the fact I love kids. I also believe that we can begin to build a better future for our children by being a part of their lives early on. By doing so, we can begin to build a better future for them by believing in them and by showing them they can build a better future for themselves.
Head Start is a comprehensive program that provides a positive preschool environment and developmentally appropriate school readiness experiences.
We are now enrolling age income eligible children for our Head Start & Early Head Start programs in Hayward, San Lorenzo, San Leandro, Union City, Fremont & Newark.
The California Child Care Alternative Payment Program is committed to enhancing the lives of families by providing supportive case management services, the opportunity for children to have a safe and healthy environment, and allows parents to select the type of child care setting which best meets the needs of their child and family.